Ever wondered why people talk about oil rigs these days? They happen to be more portable than bongs. Hence, the apparent choice for smokers. Plus, these are perfect when one is more inclined towards using concentrates.
Let us begin by first getting to know what they are. Then we will work our way through educating ourselves about these in the following piece of writing.
What is a Dab Rig?
It is also called a concentrate rig or hash rig, it is primarily used for smoking concentrates. It is like a water pipe that one uses to smoke legal concentrates. Designed to be smaller than a bong, rigs work best with concentrates and should not be used to smoke dry herbs. Hence, the reason why dab rigs are called concentrate rigs at times.
It is a chamber of a glass pipe used in place of a bowl in a bong. The chamber, linked to a banger or nail, is used in a dab rig for vaporizing dab.
These come with a nail or a quartz banger that you can use with concentrates. Nails are typically made of titanium, and quartz is used to make bangers. Quartz banger is, in fact, the popular choice among smokers. A nail or a banger is an important part of a dab rig, and one has to heat it and then place the concentrate on it.
Are these the same as Dab Bongs?
To some extent, yes. That is to say; both are used for dabbing. Secondly, both may appear similar to novice smokers. But seasoned users are aware of the difference between the two. The difference between the two can be enumerated on several levels-
- Their rigs are specifically used to smoke concentrates like wax, oil, shatter, and honey. These can be used to smoke hash or hashish as well. That is why at times, it is called a hash rig. On the other hand, Dab bongs are used by smokers to consume dry herbs, tobacco, and flowers.
- Their method of consumption– in a bong, one lights up the herbs and inhales the resulting smoke via the mouthpiece. In the case of rigs, one uses a torch to heat the nail or the banger, which in turn combusts the concentrate. The resulting vapor is inhaled by the user.
- Their method of delivery– A bong has a bowl piece where dry herbs are placed and lighted. In the case of rigs, one has to heat the nail using a torch and place the concentrate in it.
- Based on Size– Bongs are generally bigger because the smoke can move up along the pipe without getting stuck on the glass. Rigs are smaller because the vapor has to reach the lungs without losing any aroma quickly.
- Based on price– rigs are more expensive than bongs due to the sheer number of accessories involved for correct dabbing.
To explain in simple words, if we add a bowl piece to a water pipe, it is a bong. If we add a dab nail to a water pipe, it is a dab rig.
To enjoy a good dabbing session, one would require the following tools-
- Water pipe
- Dab tool
- Carp cap
- Cannabis extract or concentrate
How To Use?
Using a dab rig can be an overwhelming process, mainly due to the added paraphernalia involved. If you are using it for the first time, follow the steps listed below-
- Start by filling the base with enough water to submerge the downstem completely.
- Second, heat the nail to a glowing red level so that even the tiniest of particles burn away.
- Third, the nail has to cool down to a temperature of approximately 450-550 degrees F. This means waiting for a minute or so. This way, you won’t burn the herb and get a maximum kick out of it.
- Next, place some concentrate on the nail and slowly inhale the vapor by taking deep and deliberate breaths. If you happen to have a carb cap on the nail, you will get a better experience. A carb cap cages all the heat in the chamber to get the maximum kick out of the concentrate.
- Finally, exhale the vapor after inhaling and do not hold it inside for long.
Keeping these steps handy will ensure that you use your concentrate to its full potential.
Cleaning a dab rig is as essential as using one correctly. You can clean the inside of a quartz nail with cotton if there are challenging to clean residual oil in the nail, use rubbing alcohol or Isopropyl alcohol to clean it. If this doesn’t do the trick, soak it in alcohol and clean it with cotton. Please make sure you thoroughly rinse out any traces of alcohol before using it.
Cleaning a dab rig properly ensures that you get maximum flavor experience every time you use it.
Broadly speaking, five types exist-
- Glass– ones are perfect for those trying dabbing for the first time. Also, seasoned smokers who value their concentrate prefer glass over other materials. Since these are made with borosilicate glass, they are more resistant to heat and are bulky. Good quality and compatibility with various dabbing accessories are other features of this type.
- Mini ones– are smaller in size but similar in performance to a conventional rig. These are perfect for smokers on the go. Fitted with extra percolators, these are made with borosilicate glass and silicon.
- Silicone is unbreakable, foldable, and cheap; this type is low maintenance. However, on the downside, you end up compromising on the flavor.
- Recyclers– are manufactured artistically with good quality glass. These are perfect for those who prefer doubling up their dab rig as a collectible. The smoke passes through the tube and the percolator several times before reaching the lungs, justifying the name recycler. This type, by far, provides the best dabbing affair.
- Electric– ones are highly portable and mess-free. These have chargeable batteries and help control temperature quickly. It is perfect for those who prefer carrying their dabbing instrument in their pocket.
There are several designs to choose from. Direct or Inject Classic, Daisy or “Castle’, Angled Cut, and Standard are some of the popular designs, to name a few.
As mentioned before, these are more expensive than bongs. If you plan on spending your money, invest in a good one.
The cost of a rig depends on how much you plan on spending. There are cheap ones that cost about $50, and there are high-end pieces that can cost up to $5000. The expensive ones are crafted into an image. Hence, the high price. Choose a piece that suits your personality and persona.
Dab rigs are a great way to smoke your concentrate. For those who love to get the most out of the concentrate, invest in a good quality one. Carry out thorough research and carefully weigh out the pros and cons. Pick up a dab rig that suits your taste and preference.