Are you looking for a fibroids doctor near me? At the USA Fibroid Centers in Columbia, we have the top fibroid specialist in the district of Columbia with years of experience who treat uterine fibroids without surgery.
As top fibroid specialists in the district of Columbia, our specialists perform uterine artery embolization as a treatment, a minimally invasive procedure to treat fibroids WITHOUT SURGERY. It is an alternative to other treatments for uterine fibroids, such as hysterectomy (remove the womb), myomectomy (remove the tumor), and others.
What are uterine fibroids?
Uterine fibroids are benign that develop from the muscle tissue of the uterus. Fibroids can be inside the uterus, on its outer surface, inside its wall, or attached to it by a stalk-like structure.
A fibroid can stay very small for a long time and suddenly grow rapidly or slowly over several years. They are rounded and solid formations of a benign nature located in and around the uterus and occasionally in the cervix, also called benign tumors or fibromas due to their usually hard and fibrous consistency. Therefore, uterine fibroids disappear after menopause. Uterine fibroids are very common and can affect up to 30% of women between 30 and 45 years of age.
Visit here : ultrasound machines
Who do Uterine Fibroids affect?
Fibroids are women’s most frequent benign tumors, with an incidence close to 70%. Most women do not have symptoms; it is common for several fibroids to appear in the same patient.
What causes fibroids in the uterus, and why do they occur?
The causes of uterine fibroids are genetic or hereditary, the action of sex hormones, which accelerates the abnormal growth of muscle cells in the uterus.
How are uterine fibroids diagnosed?
The diagnosis of uterine fibroids at Columbia fibroid center is made by physical examination and gynecological ultrasound (abdominal and transvaginal). It then detects the state and number of fibroids and diagnoses more than 90% of fibroids.
Are you looking for a top fibroid specialist in the district of Columbia? Consult directly with the fibroid specialist at the USA Fibroid Centers in Columbia.
Risk Factors of Uterine Fibroids
- Age: Being over 35-40 years old.
- Late motherhood: These women have problems getting pregnant for a long time due to the ovarian hormonal action itself without becoming pregnant.
- Early age of the first period: Women who begin menstruation very young (between 9-10 years) and whose possible appearance is linked to the same reason, hormonal overexposure.
- Family history: Genetic or hereditary causes of fibroids in the uterus.
- Obesity: Female body fat produces an oversupply of estrogens that act on the growth of these tumors.
- Racial influence: Fibroids are more common in women with dark skin or African Americans.
- Oral contraceptives influence the development of fibroids since women who take hormonal contraception spend long periods without becoming pregnant. This hormonal overexposure can be a facilitating factor in those people predisposed to develop fibroids over the years.
Get in touch with the top fibroid specialist in the district of Columbia now!
Symptoms of uterine fibroids
Uterine fibroids often develop asymptomatically (causing no symptoms), but typical symptoms are severe or prolonged menstrual bleeding. However, they can also cause a variety of ailments, such as:
- Changes in menstruation
- Longer, more frequent, or longer menstrual periods
- Menstrual pain (cramps)
- Vaginal bleeding between menstrual periods
- Anemia (due to heavy bleeding)
- On the abdomen or lower back
- Pelvic pain and pressure
- Pain during intercourse
- Difficulty urinating or frequent urination
- Difficulty getting pregnant
Non-invasive treatment for uterine fibroids at the USA Fibroid Centers in Columbia
Treatment of fibroids usually occurs only when they cause discomfort, affect fertility, or cause problems before or during pregnancy.
In some cases, if the fibroids grow directly under the endometrium, a hysteroscopy may be considered. If the fibroids are located outside or in the wall of the uterus, they can be removed by laparoscopy. This procedure is known as uterine artery embolization.
Pharmacological treatment and non-surgical methods have their advantages and disadvantages. They must be adapted to the patient’s individual needs, so our top fibroid specialist in the district of Columbia will evaluate your case individually.
What is the treatment for uterine fibroids?
Treatment of fibroids in the uterus is not usually necessary in most women. This is because they are normally small in size and do not cause any symptoms. However, the treatment of uterine fibroids should be considered in certain cases when the fibroids are large or cause any of the symptoms described above.
The treatment of uterine fibroids is very varied and is related to the following:
- The size and location
- The severity of symptoms caused
- The presence or not of coexisting diseases that contraindicate pharmacological treatment options, mainly hormonal.
- Pharmacological treatment of fibroids (conservative treatment)
Can fibroids be prevented?
Due to the genetic-hereditary predisposition, there are still no very clear preventive measures to avoid fibroids in the uterus, although there are various ways that can help reduce the incidence of fibroids:
- Practice physical exercise.
- Avoid diets rich in cholesterol and refined sugars since, by promoting obesity. They influence the production of estrogens responsible for the growth of these tumors.
- Get pregnant before the age of 35. motherhood, for reasons of ovarian hormonal rest, is a factor that decreases and delays the appearance of fibroids.
- Anything that avoids or reduces hormonal overexposure for long periods.
- Periodically carry out gynecological examinations since 70% of fibroids are occasionally detected in the consultation.
What happens if I am diagnosed with a fibroid?
At the USA Fibroid Centers in Columbia, our top fibroid specialist in the district of Columbia can help you get rid of fibroids with non-invasive methods.
Columbia fibroid center: Professionals at your service
We have the latest technology and training; thanks to this, we avoid performing certain uncomfortable tests for the patient.
Schedule your appointment at Columbia fibroid center!