In this article, Dr. Harsh sheth will be briefing about the different types of bariatric surgery.
Dr. Harsh Sheth is one of the best bariatric surgeons in Mumbai..
Bariatric surgery is gaining popularity in recent years. There is a significant rise in weight loss surgery in Mumbai. Dr Harsh sheth, has performed over 1000 surgeries over the past years, he says that people from all age groups come to have surgeries, either for medical reasons or just to lose body weight.
A meta-analysis in 2021 found that bariatric surgery was associated with a 59% and 30% reduction in all-cause mortality among obese adults with or without type 2 diabetes, respectively.
This meta-analysis also found that median life expectancy was 9.3 years longer for obese adults with diabetes who received bariatric surgery compared to routine (non-surgical) care. In contrast, the life expectancy gain was 5.1 years longer for obese adults without diabetes.
Dr. Harsh sheth also has pre and post weight loss surgery diet tips, you can check them out here.
Below we’ll be seeing the different types of bariatric surgeries,
Types of bariatric surgery
Bariatric surgery can be grouped into three main categories: restricted, blocking, and mixed.
A restrictive procedure is done to shrink the size of the stomach. This procedure makes the patient feel full while eating less. These procedures will not interfere with the normal digestive process, says Dr. Harsh Sheth, offering one of the best weight loss surgery in Mumbai.
- Sleeve gastrectomy: In the sleeve gastrectomy procedure, the size of your stomach is reduced to 15% of its original size. In this operation, surgeons remove a part of your stomach and join the remaining parts together. This procedure reduces the size of the stomach permanently.
- Vertical banded gastroplasty: In this procedure, a part of the stomach is stapled permanently. This creates a smaller stomach pouch. The purpose of this procedure is to delay the emptying of food so that the patient will feel more full.
- Adjustable gastric band: In this procedure, a lap band, an inflatable silicone device, is placed on the top portion of the stomach. This process will decrease the patient’s food consumption.
- Intragastric balloon: An intragastric balloon is a medical instrument(saline-filled silicone balloon) placed in your stomach. This process helps you to lose weight by making the patient feel full by eating less.
- Stomach folding: Stomach folding reduces the stomach with sutures without any surgical incision to restrict food intake.
Dr. Harsh Sheth, one of the top bariatric surgeons in India says, a biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch (BPD/DS) is a less-common weight-loss procedure that entails two major steps.
The first step is sleeve gastrectomy, in which about 80 percent of the stomach is removed, leaving a smaller tube-shaped stomach, similar to a banana. However, the valve that releases food to the small intestine (the pyloric valve) remains, along with a limited portion of the small intestine that normally connects to the stomach (duodenum).
The second step bypasses the majority of the intestine by connecting the end portion of the intestine to the duodenum near the stomach. A BPD/DS limits how much you can eat and reduces the absorption of nutrients, including proteins and fats.
- Bypass: In this procedure, the doctor will create a small hole in the stomach and then place a tube inside. The food will pass through the tubes and enter the small intestines directly, absorbing only the necessary energy. Dr. Harsh Sheth, offering one of the best weight loss surgery in Mumbai says, this procedure has many downsides or risks, like bleeding, breathing problems, infection, and heart problems.
- Endoluminal sleeve: This is a flexible tube inserted into the upper small intestine through the mouth and stomach. The purpose is to block the absorption of certain foods/calories. It does not involve actual cutting and is designed to lower risks from infection etc. however, the results were inconclusive, and the device had issues with migration and slipping.
- Sleeve gastrectomy with duodenal switch: The duodenal switch is a weight-loss surgery designed to treat people who have severe obesity. It combines a sleeve gastrectomy with an intestinal bypass. The duodenal switch is the most complicated but also the most effective bariatric surgery. It’s especially effective against Type 2 diabetes. If you are in Mumbai or nearby and are planning to have weight loss surgery then you can consider consulting Dr. Harsh Sheth, one of the top bariatric surgeons, conducts weight loss surgery in Mumbai.
- Gastric bypass: Gastric bypass is surgery that helps you lose weight by changing how your stomach and small intestine handle the food you eat. After the surgery, your stomach will be smaller. You will feel full with less food. The food you eat will no longer go into parts of your stomach and small intestine that absorb food. Because of this, your body will not get all the calories from the food you eat.