Skateboarding has become popular among the new generation of people. However, all skateboarders face speed wobble problems once in a while. The frequency of its happening is much higher for the beginner. Thus, they may feel discouraged about riding on the skateboard. In this article, we will discuss the reasons for the high-speed wobble issue of the skateboard.
Reason for skateboard wobble at high speeds:
First, we need to understand what speed wobble is. It is one kind of nightmare while riding on the skateboard at high speed. It can prove dangerous for downhill riders. Yet, it can become difficult for other riders also.
According to physics, speed wobble is a swift oscillation of the rear truck. The problem starts with a minor sideways movement which can ultimately lead to losing control of the skateboard.
It mainly happens because your leg will try to mitigate it with counter turns as soon as your body senses minor sideways movement. Yet, you can not reduce it when it happens with high frequency. You may even try to overcompensate when you see the wobble amplitude.
As a result, you get separated from your skateboard and injure yourself. Speed wobble occurs due to bad roads. It can also happen due to some pebble.
How to reduce speed wobble:
1) When riding on a skateboard, should distribute weight more toward the front truck. So, when you are feeling a speed wobble problem, you should lean more towards the front truck. You should shift approximately ninety percent of your body weight towards the front truck.
2) Lowering the center of gravity is very important to control the speed wobble problem. This will help you in adding stability. It will also assist you in handling the speed wobble problem.
3)Turning of initiation is an important strategy to control speed wobble. It would be best to initiate a slow carve to get out of the speed wobble problem.
Yet, it only works if you do this at an early stage of the speed wobble. Usually, after starting a turn, you try to compensate for subconscious corrective steps. It would help if you made the craving slow, not quick.
4) Relaxing your muscle will help you mitigate your speed wobble problem. Your legs should be in a relaxed position to stop overcorrecting your movements.
You should not feel panic when you are facing a speed wobble problem. Your mind should remain calm to face the situation.
5) You can reduce the risk of a high-speed wobble problem after making some adjustments to your skateboard.
- I) You can tighten your trucks to solve the speed wobble problem. Yet, experienced riders oppose this step. According to them, loose trucks are safer and will save lives.
When you tighten your trucks, your skateboard makes it harder for you to turn. Hence, it reduces the frequency of the high-speed wobble problem.
However, your skateboard will still face the problem of high-speed wobble. But, the speed of your skateboard will be much higher due to tighter brushing. You will also have much less time to counter the speed wobble problem.
In addition to that, your crash will cause more severe problems for you due to much higher speed. If you want tighter bushing then, you should take a step to change the durometer.
- II) Lower angle degree baseplates can be adjusted to reduce the speed wobble problem in your skateboard. A lower angle degree baseplate will lower the deck, and hence it will also lower your center of gravity.
So, your skateboard will have fewer turns.
It is a better solution if you compare it to tighter brushing. You will get the same result but with less risk. It will also have less chance of high-speed crashing compared to tighter brushing.
III) Longer wheelbase is another important fix you can make on your skateboards.
In some decks, increasing or reducing wheelbase is possible. You can do it by making mounting trucks closer to one another.
A more extended base will turn your skateboard harder to turn. Hence, it will face fewer high-speed wobble problems.
A high-speed wobble problem occurs while you ride on the skateboard at high speed. Here we have discussed the reasons behind this phenomenon. It can be a bad road or your lack of skill. You should quickly identify the reason for your skateboard. It is necessary for your personal safety. We have also tried to give you some suggestions to reduce the speed wobble problem.
Improving your riding techniques is essential to counter the speed wobble problem. It will help you more compared to short-cut suggestions like tighter brushing.
We hope that our article has helped you know more about the high-speed wobble problem of the skateboard. Hence, you can take proper counter steps while facing a high-speed wobble problem.